Friday, May 6, 2011

If




You’ve been a believer since you were ten years old. You truly love Jesus more each year, and you talk to him often. Jesus is your constant companion and best friend as you move with your military dad from place to place. You love the Lord, but there are times you just don’t want to do what Jesus says. You don’t always want to obey your dad, especially when he barks at you as if you’re one of his soldiers. You don’t always want to give part of your allowance in the offering plate; sometimes you want to buy something for yourself with all the money. But you know that if you really love Jesus like you claim, you’ll obey what he tells you to do.



Jesus made it very plain. “If you love me, keep my commandments.” (John 14:15 TNIV) Obedience and love go together, whether we like it or not. Don’t tell Jesus (or others) that you love the Lord if you’re not willing to do what he tells you to do. “Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. Anyone who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.” (John 14:21 TNIV) When you obey the Lord, he pours out such love on you. As you grow in this love, something wonderful happens. Obedience becomes a habit—and a joy!

No comments: